Saturday, March 28, 2015

Identifying our core beliefs

We learnt from previous post that our thoughts and our core beliefs are responsible for what we are today. So now our next task is to identify our core beliefs, but how to identify these core beliefs which we are not aware of? Though we are not aware of our core beliefs, if we give some conscious effects towards it we can understand the core beliefs we have.


These thoughts will lead to a colourless core belief. So if we introspect, we can understand our core belief. Questions that will help you to identify your core beliefs are:

1. Who were the most significant people in my early life?
2. What were the recurring themes that happened?
3. What belief did I learn from these experiences?


Once you get answers to these questions, you can ask specific questions, like

1. What are the core beliefs about me?
2. What are the core beliefs about others?
3. What are the core beliefs about others?

Some of the other questions that might help you are:

1. Am I confusing my thoughts with fact?
2. Am I seeing a problem as it is or exaggerating it?
3. Am I quickly jumping to any conclusions?
4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of thinking this way?
5. Am I asking questions that have no answers?
6. Am I thinking in terms of ‘shoulds’ and musts’?
7. Am I focusing on my weakness and forgetting my strengths?
8. Am I taking things personally?
9. Am I predicting the future based on this?
10. Am I seeing others as they are or as I am?

So after asking so many questions and identifying our core beliefs what am I supposed to do? Now that we came to know  our core beliefs and thoughts are responsible its time to change them and lets see how we go about it.


Whenever a event happens that disturbs you a lot and you feel that you are adding our thoughts to it and exaggerating it, Just shout within yourself and say


Then stand in front of a mirror and observe yourself. As you stand before the mirror focus on yourself. Let your thought comes in. Don’t panic. Observe your body language. (Eg: if you are angry, just observe your face and the eyes. See how red your eyes have become; see how tight you hold your fist. If you are crying just observe your eyes, your shoulders, just see how you have put your heads down)

Then slowly try this relaxation exercise.


Once you feel you are relaxed start contemplating on your thinking process.
1. Identify your core beliefs (make use of the questions quoted above)
2. Your view about self, others and the world
3. Then think on how to change these negative core beliefs?

So whenever you get upset over issues just imagine a traffic signal.


In the next post we will see some techniques to change our core beliefs and automatic thoughts.



No comments:

Post a Comment